Book Club the Fifth – BOOKN00B – 18-04-2010
Agreed on: The Island by Victoria Hislop (BookN00b)
– Firman by Sam Savage
SPECIAL GUEST STAR – Lela – who is now 100 pages into The Book Thief!
- hated the first chapter, which enraged her, resulting in her casting aside the book for about a month.
- eventually went back to it, and ended up quite enjoying it!
- particularly liked the relationship between Norman and Jerry.
- thought the idea was really clever, and thought the whole environment was very well researched.
- liked the history
- thought the character was a bit up himself, though he was a thinking reading rat, so fair enough really.
Neither would search out Sam Savage again, but would certainly read something of his at another point in the future.
- loved the book references throughout.
- thought the world created was very well described from the perspective of a rat
- found it very sad
Agreed that the next book would be The Island by Victoria Hislop, a book that felt was of great interest to BOOKN00B as she had visited the island in question, and seen the featured sanatorium.