Book Club the First – BOOKELF – 01-11-2009
Agreed on: The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (AvidReader)
Discussed: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
- We agreed that the female characters were beautifully realised, and the setting and ‘world’ created seemed realistic and poetic simultaneously.
- However, the male characters were much more one dimensional, and seems to serve purely to develop the plot further.
- After all the agonies suffered by our heroine, was the happy ending feasible? While it certainly served to tie up the story neatly, and provide some much needed stability for the primary characters, it seemed to be hastily drawn together. There were other incidentals – the prince charming being many years older, and she being satisfied with her status as a mistress.
- Nonetheless, a very enjoyable read, and a wonderful introduction to an otherwise unknown culture and time.
- And we *ALL* preferred the book to the film. Like soooo much!