We’ve been reading together across Leeds for over a decade now (meep) and have kept going despite the ‘all this’ of it all.
During the global pandemic, our book clubs won’t be meeting in person.
Instead, we will be holding our discussions via Zoom and this looks set to continue into 2021.
It’s practically the same as IRL. Delightful friendly people, zany weird tangents…though much more ‘you’re muted’ than before.
If you’d like to join in, please let me know via @LeedsbookClub or comment on the blog 🙂
Upcoming Book Clubs
LBC 3 Reads will be meeting every second month for 2021. Our theme this year is EXTREME COMFORT READS
- 16-01 – Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy – John le Carre
- 20-03 – A Wizard of Earthsea – Ursula le Guin
- 15-05 – Wise Children – Angela Carter
- 17-07 – Gaudy Night – Dorothy L Sayers (Lord Peter Whimsey Series)
- 18-09 – Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day – Winifred Watson
- 20-11 – Divine Secret of the Yaya Sisterhood – Rebecca Wells
Monthly Book Clubs – January
- 09-06 – Mindf*ck – Christopher Wylie – LBC Horsforth
- 13-06 – Boy Parts – Eliza Clark – LBC White Swan
Details of our book clubs – for less socially distant times – can be found below.
The Book Clubs
The quarterly one.
Meeting up every 2nd month in 2021, via Zoom!
Saturdays – 12:30pm
Our home is usually @Cafe164
We read to a theme each year – this year is EXTREME COMFORT READS
On Zoom for 2021 for now anyway.
Wednesdays – 7:30pm
Hosted by the lovely @OldKingsArmsPub
Very rarely any rhyme or reason to our choices… or our chats for that matter
Our Recent Posts
- GP Data – Opt Out optionsHopefully, more people will be aware of Cambridge analytica…sorry the British Government’s attempts to mine our medical data with little … Continue reading GP Data – Opt Out options
- Our June ReadsHere are this months reads 🙂 For LBC Horsforth – Mindf*ck by Christopher Wylie 9th June Zoom call 7:30pm For … Continue reading Our June Reads
- MINI-POEM – Thomas Love PeacockHow troublesome is day! It calls us from our sleep away; It bids us from our pleasant dreams awake, And … Continue reading MINI-POEM – Thomas Love Peacock
- 10 Poems for KindnessFor my birthday this year, a friend sent me this book as an alternative to a card. Collated by Jackie … Continue reading 10 Poems for Kindness
- RECITATION – Do not go gentleMichael Sheen recites Dylan Thomas’ poem ‘Do not go gentle into that good night’ as part of the reopening of … Continue reading RECITATION – Do not go gentle
- ‘Silenced’ voice of Great War poet to be heard for first time | First world war | The GuardianIvor Gurney’s writings from an asylum were ignored. But a new study reveals their genius — Read on amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/02/silenced-voice-ivor-gurney-great-war-poet This … Continue reading ‘Silenced’ voice of Great War poet to be heard for first time | First world war | The Guardian
- School Days Over – Drat you MosquitoI have been trying to track down a copy of Revival, An Anthology of African Poetry, edited by Dick Dawson … Continue reading School Days Over – Drat you Mosquito
- POEM – Simon Armitage – Elegy for Prince PhilipThe Patriarchs – An Elegy The weather in the window this morningis snow, unseasonal singular flakes,a slow winter’s final shiver. … Continue reading POEM – Simon Armitage – Elegy for Prince Philip
- Samuel Beckett’s BirthdaySpotted on Twitter with no source. But it’s marvellous! Beckett – I can’t go on Mrs Doyle – ah, go … Continue reading Samuel Beckett’s Birthday
- Felt like a good clean…Thanks Mum!